Who doesn't love a good dessert.

This week it was my turn!  Like I said to the students, even though I stand up in front of them talking every day, giving the speech still made me nervous - but I did it!
I've learnt the best thing to write a speech about is something I know a lot about.  That way I don't need to spend a lot of time researching - all my time and energy can go into writing and practicing the delivery (the presenting) of my speech.
Once I shared my speech, the students and I looked at the different things I included to help make it persuasive, so they can then use some of those things in their own writing.
Check my speech out below - defintely a topic I know lots about!

Desserts should be eaten every day

Apple crumble with custard, Goody-goody gumdrop ice cream, hot fudge pudding dripping with chocolate sauce - who doesn’t love a great dessert?  I am here today to convince you all, especially you adults, that desserts should be eaten every day.

Without a doubt, the most important reason is the happiness a delicious dessert creates.  Every day we see and hear about things going on in the world that leave us feeling sad, angry, confused or dismayed.  Much of this is seen during that hour of news at 6pm, right around dinner time, not long before we start getting ourselves ready for a restful night’s sleep.  Why finish our hard-working day on this note when a to-die-for dessert can come to the rescue.  A pavlova, crunchy on the outside with a marshmallow pillow on the inside, always leaves me with a smile and feeling that life is amazing.  What better way to end the day.  

Another reason we should be eating desserts everyday is that it  brings people together.  We have all heard the research that families that eat dinner together have strong relationships, so it makes sense that we should extend the time we spend doing this.  By eating dessert together, we are looking at another ten minutes at least of sitting around the dining room table, sharing our news from the day.  All the while we are smiling at the sheer delight of the sweet goodness we are eating.

Finally, desserts do actually give you some nutritional goodness, even though some experts tell us otherwise.  Seriously, we know we need to include carbohydrates and protein in our diet, along with calcium and other vitamins and minerals.  All the desserts I have mentioned contain many of these things and if something is missing this can be fixed pretty easily.  For example, adding cream to a pav increases the protein and adding ice-cream to apple crumble increases the calcium.  But what about that sugar you might say.  Experts also say  everything in moderation, so that has to include sugar right?

Lets face it, desserts have a lot to offer us.  They put a smile on our face, they create time that we spend with our family and they provide us with some of the important nutrients we need to be fit and healthy people.  Clearly, desserts really should be eaten every day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Speech - Don't Bully!

Joey's Speech - Basketball

You really do need to check this out.